One in a Million

 The one in a million cocktail is inspired by this Bath and Body Works fragrance:

About the fragrance

I purchased a wallflower fragrance in this scent for my bathroom in 2019. At the time, I found the floral notes too strong, but I decided to give it another chance upon receiving the shower gel as a birthday present in 2022. It is currently unavailable online, but perhaps it will be back during the semi-annual sale.

The scent notes listed for this fragrance are:

Jasmine extract

Tuberose oil

White gardenia

Pink pepper

Cashmere musk

Designing the cocktail

I used club soda for the mixer. I used white rum for the musk note. For the jasmine and gardenia notes, I used jasmine elixir and gardenia elixir from Floral Elixir Co, both of which were previously used in Hello Beautiful. I also added dried jasmine blossoms (previously used in Hello Beautiful, Japanese Cherry Blossom, and Coconut Lime Breeze) from a health food store. Floral Elixir Co does not sell tuberose elixir, so I left that note out. Gardenia and tuberose petals are edible, but I could not locate them so I left them out as well. Feel free to include dried gardenia and tuberose petals if you are able to locate them. For the pink peppercorn note, I made a pink peppercorn simple syrup following a variation of Mark Bittman's simple syrup recipe in How To Cook Everything Vegetarian. The recipe was written for black peppercorns, but I used pink peppercorns instead.

Recipe

2 oz white rum

1 oz pink peppercorn simple syrup

½ oz jasmine syrup

½ oz gardenia syrup

6 oz club soda

Jasmine blossoms

Place two ice cubes in a glass. Add white rum, pink peppercorn simple syrup, jasmine syrup, and gardenia syrup. Pour in club soda. Garnish with jasmine blossoms. For a non-alcoholic version, omit the white rum.

The finished cocktail


 

I enjoyed this cocktail more than expected. I was concerned that the rum would overpower the other flavors, similar to Saltwater Breeze. However, that cocktail only had violet elixir to balance the rum note, while this one had three other flavors. Jasmine provided an earthy flavor, while gardenia was brighter. The pink peppercorn syrup was sweet and slightly spicy. The rum did leave the strongest aftertaste, but it was not unpleasant. The slight golden color imparted by the pink peppercorn syrup made the cocktail visually interesting, as did the jasmine blossom garnish. I would recommend this cocktail to anyone who likes rum drinks and is open to unusual flavors.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gingham

Saltwater Breeze

Gingham Gorgeous